Copyrighted. Rights are owned by Mingei International Museum. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the Copyright Holder. In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
This image is one of a series of exterior views of Mingei International Museum of World Folk Art taken in 1978. The Museum's founding Director, Martha Longenecker, who was well-known for establishing the ceramics department at San Diego State University in 1955 started the nonprofit museum in 1974. In 1977, she was offered this 6,000 square foot storefront at University Towne Center Mall, La Jolla, CA, for one dollar and this became the Museum's first location. The Museum's importance as a local institution grew over the years and in 1996, the Museum relocated to Balboa Park where it continues to host a variety of exhibitions focused on mingei "art of the people" with an emphasis on folk art, craft and design. Martha Longenecker was the foremost proponent of mingei in California, a term meaning "art of the people" coined by the Japanese philosopher Soetsu Yanagi.
2 x 2 in. 1 Page of 1
Mingei International Museum California Revealed is supported by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian.