This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
Pictured on May 5, 1945, is the Capital National Bank, located at 700 J Street. Covering an 80 by 87 foot frontage, the building’s exterior was composed of California granite and with window frames of bronze. The eight-ton girders used to support such weight were considered – at the time – to be the heaviest in the city and were products of Sacramento steel mills. The terra cotta nudes ringing the sixth floor, referred to at the time as “modern heroic figures” were controversial at the time of the bank’s 250,000 dollar construction in 1916. The building is one of the many designs of Rudolf A. Herold, who also designed Sacramento’s City Hall building and Masonic Temple. Also notable are three women standing near the southwest corner of the building and a period car parked by the entrance.