Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. The term "Missionary Baptist" originated in the early 1800s during the rise of the modern missions movement, which was a movement among Baptists (as well as other Christian denominations) to organize para-church institutions for the promotion and funding of evangelism, Bible and literature publication, schools, charitable and social work, and other religious causes. This movement created extensive controversy among Baptists, drawing harsh criticism from those who considered these new institutions subversive of traditional Baptist polity. Those who opposed the innovations became known as anti-missions, and those advocating them as missionary Baptists. Many of the "missionary Baptist" churches and associations eventually adopted the epithet "missionary" into their official names, and, what started as a descriptive term became a new religious denomination - Missionary Baptists. However, the name never became universally used among the advocates of the missionary institution. Photograph shows a close-up of the Greater Olivet Missionary Bapstist Church cornerstone, located at 1646 E. 47th Street and Honduras. The cornerstone reads: "Greater Olivet Baptist Church - Rebuilt 1956-57 - Chrm. Deacon Bd., R. Brumfield - Chrm. Trustee Bd., G. W. Bush - M. Brumfield, Sec'y - Rev. G.L. Bedford, Pastor". Photograph dated: May 2004.
1 photographic print :col. ;11 x 16 cm. Photographic prints
00075665 Jeff Allen Houses of Worship Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection; GPC_b84_f3_i15 CARL0000080433 http://184.108.40.206/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/120809
Greater Olivet Bapstist Church (Los Angeles, Calif.) Baptist church buildings--California--Los Angeles Church buildings--California--Los Angeles Los Angeles Photographers Collection photographs Jeff Allen Houses of Worship Collection photographs