Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. The Dunes Hotel and Casino opened in May 1955 as a low-rise resort and was the tenth resort to open on the Las Vegas Strip. The North Tower was added in 1961 and the South Tower was added in 1979. "The Miracle in the Desert", as it was known, boasted an 18-hole gold course, a rooftop health spa and a 90-foot long pool. In 1957 it became the first hotel/casino to offer a topless show. In 1961, a 24-story tower was built, brining the number of rooms up to 450; in 1979, the hotel expanded to 1300 rooms. In its early years, the Dunes was known for the 35-ft tall fiberglass sultan that stood above its main entrance; unfortunately, it was destroyed by fire in 1985. In 1992 the resort was sold to developer Steve Wynn's company for $75 million, and on January 23, 1993 it closed its doors for good. In October of the same year, the Dunes was imploded in a grand ceremony with over 200,000 people watching. The Bellagio now stands in its place. Aerial view of the Dunes Hotel, located at 3600 Las Vegas Boulevard South and Flamingo Road; view is looking south. Photograph was taken for Pioneer Flintkote. Photograph dated February 19, 1959.
1 negative :safety ;11 x 14 cm. Photographic safety negatives