Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Located at 13355 San Fernando Road, the two-story Olive Switching Station was built between 1916 and 1917. It is the oldest such facility of the City of Los Angeles, Department of Water and Power. Built at the mid-point of the 115 kilovolt transmission line from the San Francisquito Power Plant No. 1 to the central receiving station in the city, the substation made it possible to divide the transmission line into sections to allow any single circuit requiring repair to be cut out without affecting service, thus providing reliable service of power to Los Angeles. The station has since been demolished. View of the south corner of the Olive Switching Station from the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power lot.
1 photographic print :b&w ;13 x 10 cm. Photographic prints
00111500 Los Angeles County Building Survey Collection; GPC_b97_f4_i6 CARL0005242324 http://220.127.116.11/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/155
Olive Switching Station (Sylmar, Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles (Calif.).--Department of Water and Power Electric substations--California--Sylmar (Los Angeles) Energy facilities--California--Sylmar (Los Angeles) Lost architecture--California--Sylmar (Los Angeles) Electric lines--Poles and towers Sylmar (Los Angeles, Calif.) Historic American Buildings Survey Collection photographs Heritage Documentation Programs Collection photographs