Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
The Automobile Club of Southern California, one of the nation's first motor clubs dedicated to improving roads, proposing traffic laws, and improvement of overall driving conditions, was founded on December 13, 1900 in Los Angeles. The Auto Club was responsible for producing state road maps, as well as posting thousands of porcelain-to-steel traffic signs throughout the state to create a uniform signing system - which it continued to do until the task was taken over by the State of California in the mid-1950s. The building located at 2601 South Figueroa Street originally served as the Auto Club's main office. It was built between 1922-1923 by architects, Sumner P. Hunt, Silas R. Burns, and Roland E. Coate in the Spanish Colonial Revival style. Today, this beautiful building serves as the Los Angeles district office, but the administrative offices have moved. View of South Figueroa Street showing cars traveling in both directions. The Automobile Club of Southern California, located at 2601 S. Figueroa St., is visible in the background.
1 photograph :b&w Photographic prints
00059589 SecurityÂ Pacific National Bank Collection L.A.-Organizations-Automobile Club of Southern California.; A-002-898 4x5 CARL0000063409 http://126.96.36.199/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/104847
Automobile Club of Southern California--Headquarters Automobiles--California, Southern--Societies, etc Streets--California--University Park (Los Angeles) Automobiles--California--Los Angeles Hunt, Sumner P Burns, Silas Reese Coate, Roland E Figueroa Street (Los Angeles, Calif.) University Park (Los Angeles, Calif.)