Skip to main content

Image / Ruins at San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Ruins at San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission
Alternative Title
Security Pacific National Bank Photo Collection
Date Created and/or Issued
1949
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.
Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a (originally La Misio´n del Sen~or Fernando, Rey de Espan~a) was founded by father Fermi´n Lasue´n on September 8, 1797, on the settlement located on the former Encino Rancho, in Mission Hills. It was the seventeenth mission built in Alto California. It was built in a quadrangle, similar to other missions, in which the church makes up one corner. An adobe chapel, which was built and blessed in December 1806, was damaged by the destructive earthquake of 1812 and a new church was completed in 1818. In 1845, Governor Pi´o Pico declared the Mission buildings for sale and in 1846, made Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a his headquarters. San Fernando's church became a working church again in 1923. In 1971, a large earthquake damaged the church again and it had to be completely rebuilt. The repairs were completed in 1974. In 1988, the Convento Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places - Building #88002147. In 1999, the entire Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a was added to the National Register of Historic Places - Building #71001076. It has also been dedicated as California Historic Landmark #157. It continues to serve as a parish church.
A man and woman can be seen through a large hole, possibly an entrance, of a crumbling adobe wall. These ruins might have been located next to the original chapel (not visible) at San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission, which is located at 15151 San Fernando Mission Boulevard. Photograph dated: February 6, 1949.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 14 cm. on sheet 21 x 26 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00081888
Security Pacific National Bank Collection
Missions-San Fernando Rey de Espan~a.; S-003-030 4x5
CARL0000081432
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/112418
Subject
San Fernando, Rey de Espan~a (Mission : San Fernando, Calif.)
Missions, Spanish--California--Los Angeles
Building, Adobe--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles)
Cactus--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles)
Excavations (Archaeology)
Mission Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.)

Explore related content on Calisphere: