Neither the Western Sonoma County Historical Society nor the Sonoma County Library make any assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to digitized images and can claim only physical ownership of the image(s) described in this records. However, these images are intended for Personal or Research use only. Any other kind of use, including, but not limited to commercial or scholarly publication in any medium or format, public exhibition, or use online or in a web site, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Library. USERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying associated fees necessary for the proposed use. Preferred credit line is: Courtesy, the Western Sonoma County Historical Society. Please contact the Society regarding additional reproduction and reuse information at: https://wschs.org/contact-us
Photo--black and white newspaper clipping copy: Green Valley School built in 1866 was a clapboard building with a bell tower. Winthrop Maddocks, a ship's carpenter, who came to CA from Maine, built the school. David Lovell sold the 1.99 acres for the school To Green Valley School District and the deed was recorded in 1869. In 1867 enrollment was 29 students: David Gilliam, George Nelson, James Sullivan, John Ward, John Squires, Cornelius Sullivan, J. Wesley Sullivan, Agustus Sneed, Henry Ward, William Ross, Jacob Scudder, John Saunders, David Nelson, Eddie Meyre, Charles Ward, Lissie Clyman, Jane Clyman, Missouri Boyce, Rittie Bowman, Lizzie Marshall, Liela Gilbert, Frank Clyman, Hettie Gilliam, Nancy Barn(e) s, Eliza Gregson, Lizzie Moore, Hannah Watson, James McChristian & Alfred Bensen. Teachers in 1867 were Mary B. Wheeler & Thomas J. Alley. When the original building was destroyed by fire, Santa Rosa architect William Herbert designed a new one considered a "significant example of the genre of rural schools from the 1930s. In 1960 Green Valley School merged with Oak Grove District as it was deemed ineffecient to operate & did not provide a breadth of educational experiences to students. Green Valley School is located at 4060 Green Valley Road.