Copyright is assigned to the San José State University Library Special Collections & Archives. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Special Collections & Archives as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.
Photograph shows the exterior of the First Presbyterian Church in San Jose. Several cars are parked along the curb in front of the church. The First Presbyterian Church was originally a wooden church located on North Second Street in San Jose. The wooden church existed from 1851 to 1863, when a brick church was built in its place. The 1863 brick church stood until the earthquake of 1906 demolished it. A new building, located 48 North Third Street, was completed in 1908. In the early 1970s, this church was demolished and a not-for-profit apartment building was built in its place. Today the First Presbyterian Church is located at 49 North Fourth Street in San Jose. From "History celebrating 150 years: First Presbyterian Church, San Jose" http://www.fpcsj.org/history_sjmerc_oct99.html (accessed 9/20/11).