This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information. http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/UND/1.0/
Photograph was edited for publication purposes. Authorized by War Department General Order 48 on August 24, 1943, Van Nuys General Hospital opened in early 1944 to serve as both a general and debarkation hospital. It was soon renamed in honor of Brigadier General Henry Patrick Birmingham (1854-1932), Medical Corps, U.S. Army. Birmingham Veterans Administration Hospital operated until 1950 and was acquired by Los Angeles City Schools a year or two later for the token price of $1.00. In 1953, Birmingham High School opened as a 7-12 school. Part of the high school campus was used as an air defense missile battalion headquarters from April 1956 to November 1968. Photograph caption dated April 4, 1957 reads "Girls hear orientation lecture. Before leaving for dance, girls receive orientation lecture from Miss Ethel Solomon, above, senior hostess. Listening to instructions of 'no phone numbers or addresses' are, from left, Diane Caldwell, Peggy Carer, Barbara Finch, Mary Zovak, Diane Youle and Maxine Martin. Girls are carefully screened and strictly chaperoned." See images 00154157 through 00154163 for all photos in this series.
1 photographic print : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm.
00154160 Valley Times Collection; HCNVT_d057_f26_i11 http://188.8.131.52/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/127344
United Service Organizations (U.S.) Hostesses--California--San Fernando Valley Women--California--San Fernando Valley Van Nuys (Los Angeles, Calif.)