Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Rancho La Liebre was a 48,800-acre rancho granted to JoseÂ´ MariÂ´a Flores on April 21, 1846 by then-Governor PiÂ´o Pico. Flores was the commander and chief of the Mexican forces in California during the Mexican-American War. The ranch was so named because of the abundance of jackrabbits in the area ("liebre" means rabbit), and was mostly comprised of mountainous terrain. In 1855, Edward Beale purchased Rancho La Liebre from Flores for a mere three cents an acre. It was the first of the four Mexican Land Grants that Beale would acquire to create the present Tejon Ranch. It was on this property that Beale built an adobe home for his wife, which he named La Casa del Rancho La Liebre or Rancho La Liebre Adobe. The sturdy and roomy adobe served as the administrative headquarters for the nearly 270,000 acres of ranch land that expanded over both Los Angeles and Kern Counties. Beale, along with Robert S. Baker (one of the future founders of Santa Monica), ran sheep on the property with their flocks growing to over 100,000 head. The rancho is now a part of the Tejon Ranch. View of a single story adobe showing a wrap-around porch, several thin posts holding up the roof, and two chimneys peeking out from it. It is unknown if this is Rancho La Liebre Adobe, built by Edward Beale in Bear Canyon; or if it is La Casa de Miguel OrtiÂ´z, located at 13980 Elizabeth Lake Road, situated on land given to him by Beale, which was part of Rancho La Liebre.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
00081417 SecurityÂ Pacific National Bank Collection Ranches-La Liebre Rancho.; N-002-516 8x10 CARL0000081783 http://184.108.40.206/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/115616
Adobe houses--California Dwellings--California Ranches--California Flores, JoseÂ´ MariÂ´a Beale, Edward Rancho La Liebre (Calif.)