Palos Verdes Library District > Palos Verdes Homes Association Photo Collection > La Venta Inn, Palos Verdes Estates, California

Text / La Venta Inn, Palos Verdes Estates, California

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
La Venta Inn, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Contributor
Davis, Francis Pierpont (architect)
Davis, Walter Swindell, 1887- (architect)
Olmsted Associates (architect)
Shattuch Construction Co. (builder)
Lawyer, Jay (builder)
Lewis, Edward Gardner (builder)
Chaney, Charles H. (builder)
Lawyer, Donald K. (builder)
Date Created and/or Issued
1928-02-00
Contributing Institution
Palos Verdes Library District
Collection
Palos Verdes Homes Association Photo Collection
Rights Information
Electronically digitized by the Palos Verdes Library District from the Palos Verdes Library Local History Room Photo Collection. Copyright status must be investigated before publishing or commercial use. To obtain permission and images for publication purposes please contact the Palos Verdes Library District.
Description
Image shows interior view of living room at La Venta Inn, located at 796 Via del Monte on lots 4, 5, and 6, block 1536. Visible at left is a grand piano, a sofa in front of a long carved wooded table in center with two arm chairs on either side, several side chairs and lamps, and a wrought-iron chandelier suspended from the open beam ceiling. A pair of trompe-l'oeil paintings are visible on back wall, flanking the doorway to the dining room, above which a model of a square-rigged sailing ship rests on a bracket shelf. The Inn, originally built as a club house (named "Clubhouse 764") to entertain realtors and prospective land owners, opened in the summer of 1923 and was the first permanent building constructed by the Palos Verdes Project. The name was soon changed to La Venta (meaning "The Sale" in Spanish) and the inn served as a sales office and architectural prototype for the peninsula. During the 1930s it became a weekend retreat for notable celebrities such as Charles Lindbergh, Erroll Flynn, Betty Grable, Bob Hope, Tyrone Power, Cary Grant, and Gloria Swanson. Briefly in 1942 the Inn became the central observation post of the coastal artillery. From 1944 to 1954 the property was the residence of Commander and Mrs. Stanley Schnetzler, and was re-established as an inn in 1955. On November 11, 1978, La Venta Inn became the first structure designated as an historical landmark by the Rancho de los Palos Verdes Historical Society. In 1992 the New York Food Company took over management of the property.
Date Built: 1923
Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association
Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, February 1928, p. 4.
PVH building permit #4.
Type
Text
Format
1 photographic print (b/w); 7.5 x 9.5 in.
Identifier
pvld:4967
bar code: 000025262
Language
English
Subject
Living rooms
La Venta Inn (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.)
Historic buildings--California--Palos Verdes Estates
Hotels--California, Southern
Interiors

Explore related content on Calisphere: