Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Close up view of San Bernardino Asistencia campanario, or bell wall, which was built in 1937. San Bernardino Asistencia was established in 1819, as a "sub-mission" to Mission San Gabriel ArcaÂ´ngel; the original Asistencia, or more correctly - Estancia functioned as an outpost to graze cattle. During the 1840s its buildings were used by JoseÂ´ del Carmen Lugo as part of his rancho grant. After its sale to the Mormons, it was occupied by Bishop Tenney in the 1850s and by Dr. Benjamin Barton in the 1860s. In 1925, the County of San Bernardino acquired the Mission property; all remaining historic materials were salvaged and construction of a new, six-room structure commenced in 1926. The restoration was completed in 1937 with this freestanding campanario, constructed even though none had existed previously. The rebuilt Mission was unveiled to the general public as "The Asistencia". In 1960, San Bernardino Asistencia was dedicated as California Historical Landmark #42. Today the facility operates as a branch of the San Bernardino County Museum. Photo dated: May 20, 1939.
1 photograph :b&w Photographic prints
00065837 Works Progress Administration Collection WPA 2442 4x5 CARL0000071033 http://126.96.36.199/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/2128
San Bernardino Asistencia (Redlands, Calif.) Missions, Spanish--California--Redlands Bell towers--California--Redlands Museums--California--Redlands Redlands (Calif.) Works Progress Administration Collection photographs