This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
Pictured in circa 1945 is a bustling scene before the River Lines office and receiving center at 1300 Front Street, with the twin spires of the Tower Bridge in the background. The company was primary in the transport of material and food stuffs between the Sacramento River Delta and San Francisco until its liquidation in the early 1970s, due to the ebbing demand for the river born transport of petroleum. Upon closure, the Lines owned 10 barges, eight oil barges, four freight barges and two work platforms.