This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
Brother Adrian Mewer of the Franciscan order designed the structure that would become Sacramento’s St. Francis’ Church well before construction began in 1908, and the timing could not have been better. The building, influenced by Mission Santa Barbara, became a beneficiary of the State Capitol’s upgrade in 1928 as wood replaced for that project became part of the stairway, railing and pulpit of the elaborate church across the street from Sutter’s Fort. Even the twisted gargoyles from the old Capitol Building were transformed into the figures of angels that grace the church. Dedicated on October 23 of 1910 at a cost estimated at $100,000, the day opened with parishioners gathered in front of Bishop Thomas Grace’s house with full church regalia that then formed a procession to the new mission-style church on what was then the edge of town at 26th Street, drawing the curious behind them. A bell from the old St. Rose of Lima Church, razed in the 1880s during construction of the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament, was donated by Sacramento Bishop Patrick Manogue to the original St. Francis Church in 1895 when it opened at 25th and K Streets in April, just two months after work began. The first occasion to use the gift was that same year when Bishop Manogue succumbed to illness and the bell tolled his passing. With the opening of the new church in 1910, the wooden structure on K Street was closed and the bell moved once again.