Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > San Juan Capistrano, campanile bells

Image / San Juan Capistrano, campanile bells

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
San Juan Capistrano, campanile bells
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection;
Creator
Schultheis, Herman
Contributor
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
[ca. 1938]
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features "Fantasia" and "Pinocchio." His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for "Fantasia," is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937.
Padre Juni´pero Serra founded Mission San Juan Capistrano, the "Jewel of the Missions", as it is sometimes referred to, on November 1, 1776; it is the seventh of 21 Spanish Missions established in California by Franciscan Padres. The Great Stone Church began construction in 1796, was completed in 1806, and was destroyed by an earthquake in 1812. The Mission was secularized in 1833, sold in 1845, and was returned to the Church in 1865.
View of the campanile structure at San Juan Capistrano Mission, showing three of four bells. This small yard, which includes an arched entrance, is the Sacred Garden located near the Great Stone Church.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;14 x 11 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00097595
Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection;
N-007-086 8x10
CARL0005131325
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/40534
Subject
Mission San Juan Capistrano
Missions, Spanish--California--San Juan Capistrano
Bell towers--California--San Juan Capistrano
Adobe buildings--California--San Juan Capistrano
Arches--California--San Juan Capistrano
San Juan Capistrano (Calif.)
Schultheis Collection photographs

Explore related content on Calisphere: