Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
John Parkinson and Donald B. Parkinson designed the 1939 Union Station, located at 800 North Alameda Street. The structure combines Spanish Colonial, Mission Revival, and Streamline Modern style, with Moorish architectural details. Gladding, McBean & Co made most of the tile in the station. It was named the Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal (LAUPT) until Catellus Development, officially changed the name to Los Angeles Union Station (LAUS). The station was designated Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #101 in 1972 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Building #80000811 in 1980. View of Union Station under construction October 13, 1937, uniting at one terminus all rail lines and passengers coming and going from Los Angeles. Mid the steam of progress, the framework of the terminal building is shown being erected. Many historic landmarks near the station site will be preserved to give arriving visitors a view of the city's proud early civilization. The plaza, the old Church of the Queen of the Angels, Olvera Street, and the Pico House, once the terminus of a stage route, will be among those retained for sight-seers.
1 photograph :b&w Photographic prints
00050782 HeraldÂ Examiner Collection HE box 3715 CARL0000054954 http://188.8.131.52/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/23537
Union Passenger Terminal (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Gas Company Building construction--California--Los Angeles Building sites--California--Los Angeles Gasholders Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Herald-Examiner Collection photographs