For information on using Huntington Library materials, please see Reproductions of Huntington Library Holdings: https://www.huntington.org/library-rights-permissions
View of entrance to the new community of Girard in the West San Fernando Valley. This location is now approximately where Topanga Canyon Blvd. and Ventura Blvd. meet, in Woodland Hills. View shows workers for the Southern California Gas Company digging ditches. In the distance are the moorish-style buildings and new trees at the entrance to the development. Title devised by cataloger. After purchasing acres of land in the West Valley, Victor Girard Kleinberger in 1923 built gates, a mosque tower, and a business district with rows of false fronts to entice people to buy lots for homes. He called his new town "Girard" - which would become Woodland Hills in 1941. - Source: West Valley-Warner Center Chamber of Commerce web site.