Copyrighted. Rights are owned by California State University, Sacramento. University Library. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the Copyright Holder. In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
The Stanford House State Historical Park Oral History respondents were orphans and former residents, priests, nuns, administrators, and members of the ladies auxiliary of the Stanford and Lathrop Memorial Home for Friendless Children. The Stanford Mansion was once owned by Leland Stanford, who was the California Governor from 1862-1863. In 1900, Jane Stanford donated the home to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Sacramento to be used for the children of California. It was given to the Sisters of Mercy who ran it as an orphanage named the Stanford and Lathrop Memorial Home for Friendless Children. In 1932, the home was handed over to the Sisters of Social Service who eventually transformed the mansion from an orphanage to a residence for dependent high school girls. Angie Bergeson lived at the Stanford Home in 1926, joining her two older sisters who already lived there.
California State University, Sacramento California Revealed is supported by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian.