This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
PhotographÂ was edited for publication purposes El Retiro School for Girls was a boarding school for girls who were wards of the Los Angeles County court system. It opened in 1919 and closed in 1961. The school was located at Polk Street and Borden Avenue, now a part of the Sylmar Recreation Center. Photograph caption dated May 6, 1958 reads, "Jean Heldoorn, center, group worker at El Retiro School for Girls, receives card table from Mrs. Barney McFarlin, left, philanthropy chairman of Delta Chapter, Theta Chi Epsilon, while Mrs. Albert Zibble, chapter president, stands ready to present TV lamp. Equipment was donated by chapter for school's recreational program."
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
00145579 ValleyÂ Times Collection HCNVT_d054_f30_i15 CARL0005868954 http://126.96.36.199/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/74053
Theta Chi Epsilon El Retiro School for Girls (Sylmar, Los Angeles, Calif.) El Retiro School for Girls (Sylmar, Los Angeles, Calif.)--Employees Greek letter societies--California--Los Angeles Schools--California--Sylmar (Los Angeles) Women--California--Los Angeles Gifts--California--Los Angeles Card tables--California--Los Angeles Sylmar (Los Angeles, Calif.) Group portraits Portrait photographs Valley Times Collection photographs