Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > Huntington Park City Hall

Image / Huntington Park City Hall

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Huntington Park City Hall
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection;
Creator
Schultheis, Herman
Contributor
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
[ca. 1938]
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features Fantasia and Pinocchio. His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for Fantasia, is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937.
In 1914 architect George W. Eldridge designed Huntington Park's first Colonial Revival style city hall on the corner of Pacific Boulevard and Gage Avenue, which was destroyed by the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. A new Modern style building was built on the same site and used for eight years, until the city sold the property with the stipulation that the building be demolished and the site cleared by the new owner. Architect Hugh R. Davies designed the current 1946 Spanish Colonial Revival style Civic Center located at 6550 Miles Avenue, which includes the City Hall, Police Department, Police Museum, Los Angeles County Superior Court and a public park. In 2007 the Civic Center was designated a Huntington Park Historic Monument.
Cars park in front of this Modern version of the Huntington Park City Hall, which was only in use for eight years.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00099034
Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection;
N-008-407 8x10
CARL0005092486
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/38357
Subject
Huntington Park City Hall (Huntington Park, Calif.)
City halls--California--Huntington Park
Municipal buildings--California--Huntington Park
Modern movement (Architecture)--California--Huntington Park
Lost architecture--California--Huntington Park
Automobiles--California--Huntington Park
Streets--California--Huntington Park
Pacific Boulevard (Huntington Park, Calif.)
Huntington Park (Calif.)
Schultheis Collection photographs

Explore related content on Calisphere: