Title supplied by cataloger. The University of California, Los Angeles (also known as UCLA) was founded in 1881 as the Los Angeles branch of the California State Normal School. In 1919 the school obtained university status and became the Southern Branch of the University of California, located at 855 N. Vermont Avenue. In 1927 the name was changed to the University of California at Los Angeles. On May 31, 1929 the university opened its new campus in Westwood on land sold for $1 million dollars. In 1958, the name changed slightly again when the "at" was dropped, and became simply University of California, Los Angeles or UCLA. Today, UCLA has the largest enrollment of any university in the state. The ivy-covered Beaux-Arts style building with the flared polygonal dome (seen on the left) is Millspaugh Hall, the Administration building of the University of California, Southern Branch, located at 855 N. Vermont Ave. The cornerstone for this structure was laid on November 18, 1913; in September 1914, the school began its sessions in the new building. Millspaugh Hall was the center of student and administrative activity and occasionally an outdoor assembly area. The University of California, Southern Branch campus was laid out along a central axis, with the fine arts, domestic science, and library buildings facing the gymnasium, science building and teacher training school; the administration building (Millspaugh Hall) sat at the head of the group. The University of California, Southern Branch would eventually come to be known as the University of California, Los Angeles - or UCLA for short.
1 photographic print :b&w ;13 x 18 cm. Photographic prints
University of California, Los Angeles Universities and colleges--California--Los Angeles College buildings--California--Los Angeles Eclecticism in architecture--California--East Hollywood (Los Angeles) Lost architecture--California--East Hollywood (Los Angeles) East Hollywood (Los Angeles, Calif.)