Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Central Manufacturing District is an industrial tract of approximately 2800 acres, partly located within the cities of Commerce, Bell, and Vernon. In 1923, the tract comprised 300 acres of the old Rancho San Antonio, one of the original Spanish land grants. Railroad lines and utilities were laid and the Terminal Building became the first structure erected at 4814 Loma Vista Avenue, and serves as its landmark. In 1928 the assets were purchased by the Santa Fe for further development. The district added new areas in 1930, 1932, 1947 and 1948 - to provide for new and expanding industries and services. Thus it has grown from its original 300 acres to more than 2800 acres. More than 60 food companies are located in the CDM, which also houses automobiles, furniture, household items, machinery, paints, paper, plastics, steel, trucks, wood, cosmetics and also the benefits provided by service and processing companies of all types. CMD, which has been called the largest development of its kind in the world, is located eastward from Soto Street to Garfield Avenue; the southern edge is bordered partly by Fruitland Avenue and Randolph Street; on the northern edge are Washington Boulevard and the Santa Ana Freeway route, partially extending north beyond the freeway line. Aerial view of the General Electric Lamp Division (large white building mid-photo), located within the Central Manufacturing District at 2747 S. Malt Avenue and the intersection of Telegraph Road in the city of Commerce; view is looking south. Malt Avenue is horizontally from middle left to mid-photo; Telegraph Road starts at middle bottom and curves upward; the Santa Ana Freeway (5) parallels Telegraph on the right; Slauson Avenue can be seen diagonally from middle right to upper left. Photograph dated June 18, 1957.
1 negative :safety ;11 x 14 cm. Photographic safety negatives