Title supplied by cataloger. Mission Nuestra Sen~ora Reina de los Angeles (Church of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels), was founded on September 4, 1781 by a group of Spanish settlers. The church was considered an asistencia ("sub-mission") of Mission San Gabriel Arca´ngel. Priests from Mission San Gabriel divided their time between the mission and the Asistencia site, but ultimately the installation was never granted mission status and the missionaries eventually abandoned the site. The surrounding area was named El Pueblo de Nuestra Sen~ora la Reina de los Angeles del Ri´o de Porciu´ncula ("The Town of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels on the River Porciu´ncula", which is the present-day City of Los Angeles). A chapel, La Iglesia de Nuestra Sen~ora Reina de los Angeles, was later erected and dedicated on December 8, 1822, and for years served as the sole Roman Catholic church in the Pueblo. It is the oldest church in the city of Los Angeles. It designated Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #3 in 1962 and California Historic Landmark #144. Looking northwest across Main Street towards La Plaza Church. Dated January 4, 1958.
1 slide :color ;5 x 5 cm. Photographic color slides
Plaza Church (Los Angeles, Calif.) Catholic churches--California--Los Angeles Church buildings--California--Los Angeles Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments California Historical Landmarks Streets--California--Los Angeles Lampposts--California--Los Angeles Electric lines--California--Los Angeles Automobiles--California--Los Angeles Pedestrians--California--Los Angeles Architecture--California--Los Angeles--Spanish influences Main Street (Los Angeles, Calif.) El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument (Los Angeles, Calif.) Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Slides