For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail email@example.com National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. firstname.lastname@example.org
"Birds-eye’ view of Ekwendeni church and school." Exterior view of a substantial church building. Ekwendeni was established in 1889 with Peter McCallum and his wife as the first resident missionaries. It was situated in what was Angoniland, now the Mzimba district, and is twelve miles from Mzuzu. The mission administered to the Ngoni and Tumbuka tribes and had an important role in the region. The church was designed and built by the Rev Charles Stuart (1867-1950) who served in the Livingstonia mission from 1888-1933, mainly in Ekwendeni. He married Margaret McCallum (d.1938) in 1901 and spent his military service in East Africa. ❧ The Livingstonia mission field was established by Lieutenant E D Young and Dr Robert Laws (1851-1934) in 1875, as a tribute to David Livingstone. The field covered an area from the western shore of Lake Nyasa into Northern Rhodesia [Zambia] and the original station at Cape Maclear moved to Bandawe in 1881.