Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. The girl's orphange and school was established in 1856 by six Sisters of Charity nuns from Emmitsburg, Maryland, the motherhouse in the United States. They selected a house with vineyard and orchard belonging to B. D. Wilson for $8,000. This gave the orphanage an income from wine grapes and a supply of fresh fruits and vegetables. The 917 South Boyle Avenue site opened in 1890 on twelve acres and remained open until the it was condemned in 1953 and the orphanage moved to Rosemead. Aerial view of the Los Angeles Orphanage at 917 South Boyle Avenue, southwest corner of Boyle Avenue at Stephenson Avenue (now Whittier Boulevard) in Boyle Heights. The orphanage is a multistory, brick, L-shaped building with a tower at the entrance that is flanked by date palm trees. The driveway leads from the entrance through gardens to the highway. The twelve acres include not only the orphanage and school but plots for gardens and fruit trees.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
00078492 Security Pacific National Bank Collection G-002-259 4x5; L.A.-Buildings-L.A. Orphanage CARL0000081436 http://18.104.22.168/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/112421