Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Looking west along Wilshire Boulevard. The large building on the right is the Gaylord Apartment house. Behind that, barely visible is the Brown Derby restaurant located on Wilshire and Alexandria Ave. The first Brown Derby Restaurant, generally referred to as the "Wilshire Brown Derby," was built in 1926. Designed in part by J.R. Davidson, it measured 28 feet in diameter and 17 1/2 feet in height and was the only one resembling a bowler hat. It was first located at 3427 Wilshire Blvd across the street from the Ambassador Hotel, but in 1937 it was moved one block over to 3347 Wilshire Blvd. It was sold in 1975 and in September of 1980 it was torn down and replaced with a strip mall. The white building with the large tower in the background is the Wilshire Boulevard Christian Church located at 634 S. Normandie Ave. The church was designed in the Northern Italian Romanesque style by Robert H. Orr, and was dedicated in 1927. Directly across the street, (on the left of the photo) is the Ambassador Hotel property.
1 photographic print :b&w Photographic prints
00072370 Security Pacific National Bank Collection A-011-902 4x5; L.A.-Streets-Wilshire. CARL0000076565 http://220.127.116.11/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/114806
Brown Derby Restaurant (Los Angeles, Calif.) Wilshire Christian Church (Los Angeles, Calif.) Gaylord (Apartment House : Los Angeles, Calif.) Church buildings--California--Los Angeles Lost architecture--California--Los Angeles Restaurants--California--Los Angeles Streets--California--Los Angeles Apartment houses--California--Los Angeles Davidson, J.R Orr, Robert H Wilshire Boulevard (Los Angeles, Calif.)