Title supplied by cataloger. Queen of Angels Hospital was founded in 1926 by the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart and built by architect Albert C. Martin. The sisters solicited financial backing and went as far as begging on the streets to save money for the hospital, whose total cost was approximately $60,000. Once built, the hospital had such a steady growth from 1926 to 1932, that they were forced to add additional wings to the hospital. The hospital was expanded yet again in 1938 and 1945. In early 1989, Queen of Angels merged with neighboring hospital, Hollywood Clara Barton Memorial Hospital. Sadly, in 1990 Queen of Angels closed its doors and patients and staff were relocated to the newer, renamed Queen of Angels Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center. The original site was vacant for over 6 years and was used mostly as a filming site, until it was purchased by Pastors Matthew & Tommy Barnett in 1996. Today, the Queen of Angels Hospital is known as The Dream Center, which is a volunteer-driven non-profil organization that provides social services and outreach programs designed to meet physical, spiritual, and long-term needs. The 360,000 square-foot facility has over 1,000 rooms and a total of 9 buildings and is located on 8.8 acres of land at 2301 Bellevue Avenue, just two miles from downtown Los Angeles. Interior view of the Queen of Angels Hospital chapel. The chapel shows windows along the right wall, pews on either side, various saints and religious statues, and a small altar. Photograph dated: May 9, 1947.
1 photographic print :b&w ;26 x 21 cm. Photographic prints