For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail email@example.com National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. firstname.lastname@example.org
“Sawing logs.” View of indigenous workmen cutting planks by hand. ❧ Livingstonia mission station was established in 1891 by Dr Robert Laws (1851-1934) when he travelled north from Bandawe to set up a Training Institution and Industrial Mission. It was situated four miles from Lake Nyasa at Khondowe. As well as the school, hospital and accommodation, there were workshops for carpentry, printing and engineering, and mills, brickworks and a pottery. The Overtoun Institution was named after John Campbell White, Baron of Overtoun (1843-1908) who was a Convener of the Livingstonia Mission and a major financial contributor. ❧ Album containing photographs recording a voyage up the Shire River and scenes from the Livingstonia mission.