Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > Coliseum main entrance

Image / Coliseum main entrance

Have a question about this item? Contact Owner

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Coliseum main entrance
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection;
Creator
Schultheis, Herman
Contributor
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
[ca. 1937]
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features Fantasia and Pinocchio. His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for Fantasia, is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937.
Exposition Park, originally named Agricultural Park, was developed in 1876 as a showground for agricultural and horticultural fairs. In the 1890s USC law professor William M. Bowen and USC President George Finley Bovard garnered the commitments of city, state, and county to develop the land as a public educational, cultural and recreational center to be designed by architects Hudson and Munsell. Architects John and Donald B. Parkinson designed the 1923 Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, located at 3911 S. Figueroa Street, as well as the expansion for the 1932 Olympic Games. In 1984, the Coliseum became the first stadium in the world to host the Olympic games twice. The stadium is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is California Historic Landmark #960
The colonnade on the east end of the Coliseum is composed of a triumphal arch, flanked by 14 smaller arches and a central torch, rising 107 feet above street level. The torch, which was built for the tenth Olympiad, is constructed of concrete and capped with a bronze fixture that was kept illuminated throughout the games.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00098195
Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection;
N-007-635 8x10
CARL0005081266
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/37840
Subject
Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Stadiums--California--Los Angeles
Colonnades--California--Los Angeles
Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments
University Park (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Schultheis Collection photographs
Parkinson & Parkinson

Explore related content on Calisphere: