Palos Verdes Library District > Palos Verdes Homes Association Photo Collection > "The Girl from Montmartre" filming at La Venta Inn, Palos Verdes Estates, California

Text / "The Girl from Montmartre" filming at La Venta Inn, Palos Verdes Estates, ...

Have a question about this item? Contact Owner

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
"The Girl from Montmartre" filming at La Venta Inn, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Contributor
Davis, Francis Pierpont (architect)
Davis, Walter Swindell, 1887- (architect)
Olmsted Associates (architect)
Shattuch Construction Co. (builder)
Lawyer, Jay (builder)
Lewis, Edward Gardner (builder)
Chaney, Charles H. (builder)
Lawyer, Donald K. (builder)
Contributing Institution
Palos Verdes Library District
Collection
Palos Verdes Homes Association Photo Collection
Rights Information
Electronically digitized by the Palos Verdes Library District, from the Palos Verdes Homes Association Photograph Collection held in the Local History Room. Copyright status must be investigated before publishing or commercial use. To obtain permission and images for publication purposes please contact the Palos Verdes Library District.
Description
Image shows view of the film's cast and crew gathered beneath the courtyard pergola while shooting on location at La Venta Inn, located at 796 Via del Monte on lots 4, 5, and 6, block 1536. The silent film, released in January of 1926 and based on the novel "Spanish Sunlight" by Anthony Pryde, used La Venta to represent the main character's home on the island of Majorca. Identified seated in front row are, left to right: Lewis Stone (actor), Barbara La Marr (actress), E.H. Calvert (actor), Mathilde Comont [?] (actress), and at far right holding hat across his knee, Robert Ellis (actor.) Standing behind Stone and La Marr is the film's director, Aldred E. Green and at far right, in a light-colored dress with dark long bow, Miss Reba Willis, manager of La Venta Inn. The Inn, originally built as a club house (named "Clubhouse 764") to entertain realtors and prospective land owners, opened in the summer of 1923 and was the first permanent building constructed by the Palos Verdes Project. The name was soon changed to La Venta (meaning "The Sale" in Spanish) and the inn served as a sales office and architectural prototype for the peninsula. During the 1930s it became a weekend retreat for notable celebrities such as Charles Lindbergh, Erroll Flynn, Betty Grable, Bob Hope, Tyrone Power, Cary Grant, and Gloria Swanson. Briefly in 1942 the Inn became the central observation post of the coastal artillery. From 1944 to 1954 the property was the residence of Commander and Mrs. Stanley Schnetzler, and was re-established as an inn in 1955. On November 11, 1978, La Venta Inn became the first structure designated as an historical landmark by the Rancho de los Palos Verdes Historical Society. In 1992 the New York Food Company took over management of the property.
Date Built: 1923
Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association
PVH building permit #4.
Type
Text
Format
1 photographic print (b/w); 8 x 9.5 in.
Identifier
pvld:2121
000025346
Subject
La Venta Inn (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.)
Historic buildings--California--Palos Verdes Estates
Hotels--California, Southern
Motion picture production & direction
La Marr, Barbara, 1896-1926
Stone, Lewis, 1879-1953
Green, Alfred E., 1889-1960
Ellis, Robert, 1892-1974
Willis, Reba

Explore related content on Calisphere: