Caption: "Hialeah Race Track -- Miami -- Florida July 1, 1934." View of the infield at Hialeah Park Race Track. Constructed in 1922 as a greyhound racetrack, Hialeah began hosting horse races in 1925. Joseph E. Widener purchased the track in 1930. He embarked upon a series of improvements, adding a grandstand (seen here) and clubhouse facilities designed by Lester W. Geisler, as well as landscaped gardens and a lake in the infield that became home to a flock of flamingos. The new and improved Hialeah track, now called Hialeah Park, officially opened in 1932.