Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > Humphreys Elementary School Auditorium

Image / Humphreys Elementary School Auditorium

Have a question about this item? Contact Owner

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Humphreys Elementary School Auditorium
Alternative Title
Los Angeles County Building Survey Photo Collection;
Greenwood, David
Photographs taken for Historic American Buildings Survey or the Historic Landscapes Survey: documentation is on file
Date Created and/or Issued
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger.; Photographic print is included with negative.; Photographs taken as part of a building survey which includes a narrative report.
Located at 500 S. Humphreys Avenue in East Los Angeles, the Humphreys Elementary School and Auditorium was built in 1921-1922 by the prominent Los Angeles architecture firm of Walker & Eisen. The school was originally built in the Arts and Crafts style when it opened in 1923 but suffered major damage after the Long Beach earthquake in March 1933. Because of the damage caused by the earthquake, many schools, including Humphreys Elementary, were forced to close and consequently led to the enactment of building and safety regulations including the Field Act, that ensured school buildings across California would meet new building safety guidelines and the Riley Act, which made earthquake safety a legal requirement for all buildings. Because of the required upgrades, Humphreys Elementary underwent major renovation in 1936. Walker & Eisen were again chosen to reconstruct the damaged buildings and redesigned them in the Art Deco style. The Humphreys Elementary School Auditorium was determined a historically significant example of the Art Deco style and representative of the work of Walker & Eisen whose other contributions include the Fine Arts Building and the Beverly Wilshire and Ambassador Hotels. The auditorium has since been demolished to make room for the Humphreys Elementary School New Core Facility, a multi-purpose building that makes use of limited space by providing an assembly hall, dining area, kitchen and teacher lounge.
Rear view of the Humphreys School Auditorium looking northwest.
1 negative :safety ;10 x 13 cm.
Photographic safety negatives
Los Angeles County Building Survey Collection;
Humphreys Elementary School (East Los Angeles, Calif.)
Auditoriums--California--East Los Angeles
Elementary schools--California--East Los Angeles
Art deco (Architecture)--California--East Los Angeles
Lost architecture--California--East Los Angeles
Fences--California--East Los Angeles
East Los Angeles (Calif.)
Walker & Eisen

Explore related content on Calisphere: