Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
TitleÂ supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features Fantasia and Pinocchio. His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for Fantasia, is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937. Mission Nuestra Sen~ora Reina de los Angeles (Church of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels), was founded on September 4, 1781 by a group of Spanish settlers. The church was considered an asistencia ("sub-mission") of Mission San Gabriel ArcaÂ´ngel. Priests from Mission San Gabriel divided their time between the mission and the Asistencia site, but ultimately the installation was never granted mission status and the missionaries eventually abandoned the site. The surrounding area was named El Pueblo de Nuestra Sen~ora la Reina de los Angeles del RiÂ´o de PorciuÂ´ncula ("The Town of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels on the River PorciuÂ´ncula", which is the present-day City of Los Angeles). A chapel, La Iglesia de Nuestra Sen~ora Reina de los Angeles, was later erected and dedicated on December 8, 1822, and for years served as the sole Roman Catholic church in the Pueblo. It is the oldest church in the city of Los Angeles. It was dedicated as California Historic Landmark #144. A statue of an winged figure, possibly Our Lady the Queen of the Angels, is in a niche by the door to the Plaza Church.
1 photographic print :b&w ;15 x 11 cm. Photographic prints
00097171 Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection; N-006-958 8x10 CARL0005072253 http://18.104.22.168/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/36909
Plaza Church (Los Angeles, Calif.) Statues--California--Los Angeles Catholic churches--California--Los Angeles Church buildings--California--Los Angeles Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments California Historical Landmarks Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument (Los Angeles, Calif.) Schultheis Collection photographs