Please contact the contributing institution for more information regarding the copyright status of this object.
Brace Canyon Park was built at a cost of $112,500 on top of a working reservoir in Burbank's water system. According to the Los Angeles Times, "a nine-inch thick reinforced concrete slab roof over the reservoir with 20 inches of turf on top keeps the children from getting their feet wet." According to Burbank Parks and Recreation Department, the park was opened May 5, 1955, though it wasn't dedicated as Brace Canyon Park until January 25, 1963 after the naming of the surrounding canyon by the U.S. Geological Survey. This photo of a playground area in the park was taken in March 1963, shortly after the park's dedication.
nonprojected graphic 8 x 10 b&w photo
islandora:129 local: cco00731
Burbank (Los Angeles County, Calif.)--Parks--Playgrounds--Park facilities--1960s