This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
Pictured in 1940, and resting in memorium before the Southern Pacific Railroad Station, is the Collis P. Huntington. The Huntington was initially built for the Central Pacific Railroad. In 1871, it was transferred to Southern Pacific and redesignated Engine Number One. Following years of service, it was retired, but continued to make appearances at major events across the country, like the Panama-Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco in 1915, the opening of the Huey P. Long Bridge in New Orleans in 1936, and the 1939 opening of the Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal. Since 1939 the engine has been on display in Sacramento at the Southern Pacific Railroad Station, the old Sacramento County Fairgrounds, and the California State Railroad Museum.