Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
The La Lomita Ranch was owned by Ferdinand Bain, who raised Jerseys. The property also included 3 frame cottages, barn, milk shed and storage buildings. Mr. Bain was also president of the Southern Counties Gas Co. In 1939, Paramount Pictures bought the property for a new studio. The property was acquired by the Sisters of Notre Dame in 1945. On April 1, 1946, they opened an elementary school, Notre Dame Academy Elementary School, on the site. Initially, the school had only three grades; however, the following September more sisters joined the faculty and the school grew to have a Grade 1-6 configuration. In September 1949, the high school opened. View of the gardens on the south side at La Lomita Ranch in Palms. Dwarf bird of paradise, or crane flower, a native of South Africa, is in the foreground. Photograph dated March 10-15, 1939.; See photos #00068312-00068340 for complete series on La Lomita Ranch.
1 photographic print :b&w Photographic prints
00068315 SecurityÂ Pacific National Bank Collection L.A.-Streets-Overland CARL0000071743 http://22.214.171.124/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/106923
Bain, Ferdinand R.--Homes and haunts Gardens--California--Palms (Los Angeles) Hedges Shrubs Perennials Garden walks--California--Los Angeles La Lomita Ranch (Los Angeles, Calif.) Palms (Los Angeles, Calif.)