This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
This circa 1900 photograph shows the inner portion of the Folsom Prison’s West Gate. Just beyond the gate is the administrative building, with the Warden’s residence on the top floor. Left of the frame is the prison’s original cellblock. Completed between 1878 and 1880, it was comprised on 328 cells, each 10 feet, by 12 feet in size. The building’s walls dropped to a depth of 17 feet with a width of eight feet. Once at ground level, the walls tapered to four feet, then to two feet, six inches at roof level. Near the gate, two guards stand at attention. Notice a power line running toward the cellblock.