Davis, Francis Pierpont (architect) Davis, Walter Swindell, 1887- (architect) Risley, Winchton Leamon (architect) Olmsted Associates (architect) Shattuch Construction Co. (builder) Lawyer, Jay (builder) Lewis, Edward Gardner (builder) Chaney, Charles H. (builder) Lawyer, Donald K. (builder)
Electronically digitized by the Palos Verdes Library District, from the Palos Verdes Homes Association Photograph Collection held in the Local History Room. Copyright status must be investigated before publishing or commercial use. To obtain permission and images for publication purposes please contact the Palos Verdes Library District.
Image shows view experimental garden at La Venta Inn, located at 796 Via del Monte on lots 4, 5, and 6, block 1536. Visible are squash and mellon vines growing on trellis along plastered wall. As related in Palos Verdes Bulletin (August 1929), "This experimental garden, at La Venta Inn, done in the manner of the landscape gardener, is attracting attention as a delightful parody; between massed plantings of sweet corn and sunflowers are shrubs of tomatoes and egg plants, with peppers and purple cabbage as a ground cover; climbing vines of squash and melon cover the wall, while carrots form the border planting." The Inn, originally built as a club house (named "Clubhouse 764") to entertain realtors and prospective land owners, opened in the summer of 1923 and was the first permanent building constructed by the Palos Verdes Project. The name was soon changed to La Venta (meaning "The Sale" in Spanish) and the inn served as a sales office and architectural prototype for the peninsula. During the 1930s it became a weekend retreat for notable celebrities such as Charles Lindbergh, Erroll Flynn, Betty Grable, Bob Hope, Tyrone Power, Cary Grant, and Gloria Swanson. Briefly in 1942 the Inn became the central observation post of the coastal artillery. From 1944 to 1954 the property was the residence of Commander and Mrs. Stanley Schnetzler, and was re-established as an inn in 1955. On November 11, 1978, La Venta Inn became the first structure designated as an historical landmark by the Rancho de los Palos Verdes Historical Society. In 1992 the New York Food Company took over management of the property. Reverse of photograph ink stamped with "PADILLA COMPANY / Photography / 213 SOUTH BROADWAY / LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA" in lower left corner. Date Built: 1923 Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, August 1929, p. 6. PVH building permit #4; photo is damanged along top edge.
1 photographic print (b/w); 7.25 x 9.25 in.
La Venta Inn (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) Historic buildings--California--Palos Verdes Estates Hotels--California, Southern Gardens--California--Palos Verdes Estates