Please contact the contributing institution for more information regarding the copyright status of this object.
View from the bluffs of the Long Wharf (or Mammoth Wharf) of Santa Monica, which was intended to be the primary shipping port for the Los Angeles area. Opened in 1894 and operated by the Southern Pacific Railroad Company, the wharf stretched a record-breaking 4,600 feet (nearly a mile) out into the bay and featured a double-tracked railroad line. However, by 1897, San Pedro had emerged as the site of Los Angeles harbor, and shipping closed at the Long Wharf by 1913. It was dismantled by 1920. It stood just north of Santa Monica Canyon at present-day Will Rogers State Beach. A handwritten date on the reverse of this postcard appears to read "May 7, 1904."