"Taoist priest. Full dress (Ming cap)" Oval portrait of priest seated. One of a set of prints by an unidentified Russian photographer, bearing caption in English and also captions in Russian on the reverse. They are also accompanied by a hand written list of captions, and where this differs from the caption written on the print, this has been included in square brackets above. William Lockhart was among the pioneers of medical missionary work for the LMS. He travelled to Canton [now Guangzhou] in 1838, opening hospitals at Macao [now Macau] and Shanghai before opening a mission in Peking [now Beijing] in 1861. Lockhart left Beijing in 1864, although remained connected with the Society, serving as Chairman of the Board of Directors in 1869. Lockhart obtained these prints during his time in Beijing, and they came into the LMS collection from Constance Patterson [née Brown] who had been given them by Lockhart's daughter, Mrs. Jervis.