Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. The Pacific Mutual Building, located at 523 W. 6th Street, are actually three interconnected buildings built between 1908 and 1929. The original structure was designed and built between 1908-1912 by John Parkinson and Edwin Bergstrom. Since then, it has undergone many changes: the North Side addition was built in 1916 by William J. Dodd; a twelve-story structure was built in 1921 by William J. Dodd and his associate William Richards; the Garage Building was added in 1926 by Schultze and Weaver; and the West Side addition was erected in 1929 by Parkinson and Parkinson. It underwent Moderne remodeling in 1936 by Parkinson and Parkinson; and in 1974, the building underwent an extensive restoration by Wendell Mounce and Associates, with Bond and Steward, which brought it back to its Beaux Arts revival; finally, the entire building was renovated again by the Westgroup, Inc. in 1985. The Pacific Mutual Building is Historic-Cultural Monument #398. Close-up of the ornate entrance to Pacific Mutual's Garage Building. Two topiaries flank either side of the double doors, which show elaborate ironwork, a "PM" emblem above the arch, and a small balcony directly above. This building was added in 1926 by Schultze and Weaver.
1 photographic print :b&w ;24 x 19 cm. on sheet 28 x 21 cm. Photographic prints
00092802 SecurityÂ Pacific National Bank Collection GPC_b27_f2_i1 CARL0004996987 http://184.108.40.206/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/116152
Pacific Mutual Life Insurance Building (Los Angeles, Calif.) Pacific Mutual Life Insurance Company Parking garages--California--Los Angeles Balconies--California--Los Angeles Doorways--California--Los Angeles Ironwork--California--Los Angeles Eclecticism in architecture--California--Los Angeles Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments Schultze & Weaver