Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger.; Photograph was edited for publication purposes. In 1896, Griffith J. Griffith donated over 3000 acres of Rancho Los Felis to the City of Los Angeles to create a public park in his name. In 1912 he offered the city $100,000 for an observatory to be built on the top of Mount Hollywood. Designed by architects John C. Austin and Frederick M. Ashley, Griffith Observatory (2800 East Observatory Road) was completed in 1935. In 1976 the observatory was declared Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #168. In 1997 the Department of Recreation and Parks hired project architect Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer Associates (now Pfeiffer Partners, Inc.) and associate architect Levin & Associates Architects to design a major renovation and expansion project for the observatory, which was completed in 2006. Griffith Park was declared Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #942 in 2009. Front lawn and entrance of the Griffith Observatory. Photograph dated May 6, 1975.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
00115453 HeraldÂ Examiner Collection HE box 257 CARL0005309568 http://188.8.131.52/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/31599
Griffith Observatory Observatories--California--Los Angeles Lawns--California--Los Angeles Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments Griffith Park (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Herald-Examiner photographs Herald-Examiner Collection photographs Austin, John C. W.(John Corneby Wilson),1870-1963 Ashley, Frederick M