Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > New courthouse

Image / New courthouse

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
New courthouse
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Herald Examiner Photo Collection
Date Created and/or Issued
1956
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.; Photograph was edited for publication purposes.
The $24,000,000 building, designed to last approximately 250 years, is an imposing two-block-long structure. U.S. Chief Justice Warren broke ground for the building on March 26, 1954, and was again on hand October 31, 1958 when the edifice was dedicated. Italian marble covers most of the walls and the 850,000 square feet of floor space, along with more than 50,000 cubic yards of concrete. The structure is actually two buildings, with a 6-inch space between the east side, which will be used by the superior courts, and the west side, which will be devoted to the municipal courts. The municipal court side, with its foundations at a higher level, rises three stories above the more massive superior court end. The structure was designed by a corporation of associate architects: J.E. Stanton, Paul Williams, Adrian Wilson and Austin, Field & Fry. The County Courthouse opened on January 5, 1959.
Looking northwest from Hill Street, towards Grand Avenue, with 1st Street on the left, is the site of the new Los Angeles County courthouse located at 111 S. Hill Street. The construction is in its early stages, as large cranes and several levels of the steel frame can be seen, with building materials on the perimeter of the site. Buildings can be seen in the background. Photograph dated February 16, 1956.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;36 x 28 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00115470
Herald Examiner Collection
HE box 60
CARL0005343999
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/32001
Subject
Los Angeles County Courthouse (Los Angeles, Calif. : 1958-)
Building sites--California--Los Angeles
Courthouses--California--Los Angeles
Public buildings--California--Los Angeles
Streets--California--Los Angeles
Building construction--California--Los Angeles
Buses--California--Los Angeles
Street lighting--California--Los Angeles
Lost architecture--California--Los Angeles
Hill Street (Los Angeles, Calif.)
First Street (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Los Angeles Evening Herald Express photographs
Herald-Examiner Collection photographs

Explore related content on Calisphere: