Caption: "Steamer EMPRESS OF INDIA at Vancouver dock, B.C.," c. 1908-1912. View of the Empress of India, built by England's Naval Construction & Armaments Co. in 1890 for the Canadian Pacific Steamships company. The Empress of India could accommodate up to 700 passengers, and was also used to carry mail between Hong Kong and Great Britain. She was sold in 1914 and refitted as a hospital ship for Indian soldiers. She was sold a final time in 1923, for scrap in Bombay.