This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
The Turnverein Building on 3349 J Street is the subject of this photograph, taken in 1925, the same year that the structure was built. The cornerstone for the 100,000 dollar building was laid on October 25, 1925, enabling the organization to move from its previous location at Ninth and K Streets. The Turnverein, the term literally meaning “gymnastics club,” was established in Sacramento in 1854 as a social and recreational outlet for the city’s burgeoning population of ethnic Germans. The organization’s global roots go back to the states of pre-national Germany in the early nineteenth-century and an attempt to galvanize the nationality of young ethnic-Germans in the face of an occupying Napoleonic France. In the Sacramento Turnverein’s 1945/46 brochure, it states that “Turnerism” stands for “the ennoblement of the human race, for broad-minded liberation of human kind from all force, bigotry and superstition, for the truly Democratic development of the State, for rational education of the youth to true and efficient citizenship of the Republic.”