Marin County Free Library > Blithedale Hotel, Mill Valley, 1880-1890 > Visitors at the Blithedale Hotel, Mill Valley, circa 1898 [photograph]

Image / Visitors at the Blithedale Hotel, Mill Valley, circa 1898 [photograph]

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Visitors at the Blithedale Hotel, Mill Valley, circa 1898 [photograph]
Creator
unknown
Date Created and/or Issued
circa 1898
Publication Information
Marin County Free Library. Anne T. Kent California Room
Contributing Institution
Marin County Free Library
Collection
Blithedale Hotel, Mill Valley, 1880-1890
Rights Information
unknown
Copyright status unknown. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Description
Blithedale was built by San Francisco homeopathic physician, John J. Cushing, in 1873 and intended as a sanitarium. The property, situated in today’s Mill Valley, totaled about 342 acres. When Dr. Cushing died in 1879, his widow Harriet and their son Sydney re-established Blithedale as a hotel, the first hotel in Mill Valley. Advertisements from this time announced “Furnished cottages, rooms single and en suite. Tents on raised platforms, furnished complete, electric lighted, with shower baths. Tennis, bowling, billiards, saddle horses. Convenient summer home for San Francisco businessmen with their families… Perfect climate; no fogs; first class service; moderate rates” After several decades as a known destination for San Francisco society and beyond, the hotel experienced a decline in patronage and ceased operations in 1912. The main hotel building was demolished and the land was subdivided into 70 lots; some lots included Blithedale hotel cottages. The main hotel building stood near today’s 195 West Blithedale Avenue.
Type
image
Format
1 photographic print
Identifier
csrcl_1435
Blithedale9
http://contentdm.marinlibrary.org/cdm/ref/collection/blithedale/id/8
Language
English
Subject
Resorts
Cabins
Hotels
Vacations
Place
Mill Valley (Calif.)
Relation
http://ark.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt0q2nc5z2
http://www.marinlibrary.org/californiaroom/

Explore related content on Calisphere: