For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. email@example.com
"Jumping a rock on road preparatory to blasting". General view of two men preparing a road for clearing. The site of Chogoria was established by a native evangelist and dispenser sent out from Kikuyu in 1916. It sits on the eastern slopes of Mount Kenya, 35 miles from the summit at 17,040 feet, and administered to the Chuka, Mwimbi and Meru tribes. Mission station established by Dr A.C. Irvine, his wife and Mr Ernest Carr when they arrived, in 1922, from TumuTumu. Chogoria is built on a wooded ridge at an altitude of 5,000 feet. Mr Carr arrived first and built a bungalow in 1922, the Irvines arrived that autumn. A stone church was built to replace the thatch and wattle old church and was opened in 1930. Safaris into Tharaka country were undertaken to preach.The Thuchi river acts as a boundary between the sites of Embu and Chuka. This image was taken from a photograph album of the Tumutumu mission in September 1926.