Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Founded by the Seventh-day Adventist Church on September 29, 1913, the College of Medical Evangelist opened a small storefront clinic at 941 E. First Street in Los Angeles. Because demand was so great just three short years later, it became apparent that there was a need to expand the clinic. Through non-stop efforts of the Adventist Church, it purchased property on Boyle Avenue in 1916, and in 1917, construction began on cottage-style buildings that would become a permanent hospital. On April 21, 1918, a crowd of 2,500 people gathered to witness the dedication of White Memorial Hospital - named in honor of Ellen G. White. In 1920, a new dormitory for nurses was built, and in 1923, medical training began with the opening of the White Memorial School of Nursing. In the mid-1930s, the hospital built a 180-bed, five-story concrete and steel structure at a cost of $330,000, which was dedicated in 1937 - it was the first earthquake-resistant hospital in California. In 1955, the hospital completed a new 200-bed facility at a cost of $2.3 million; by the late 1950s, White Memorial's campus was spread out among eight city blocks, and the medical school which was divided between Loma Linda and White Memorial campuses were pressured to merge to a single location. In 1962, Loma Linda University relocated its students and faculty to a consolidated campus in Loma Linda. In 1963, the hospital's ownership was transferred from Loma Linda University to the Southern California Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, a division of the Adventist Church; the name would eventually be changed from White Memorial Hospital to White Memorial Medical Center. Today, White Memorial Medical Center, located at 1720 Cesar E. Chavez Avenue, is a 369-bed, not-for-profit, faith-based, acute care teaching hospital staffed by 400 physicians, 1,700 employees and 50 volunteers, providing a full range of inpatient, outpatient, emergency and diagnostic services to communities in and near downtown Los Angeles. Aerial view of White Memorial Hospital and White Memorial Church; view is looking northeast. This is the site of the future White Memorial Medical Center on Boyle and Cesar Chavez Avenue in Los Angeles. Some identifiable streets include: (l to r) Brooklyn Avenue (presently Cesar E. Chavez Avenue), lower left to upper right; New Jersey Street, bottom left to upper right; Michigan Avenue, bottom middle to upper right; Pennsylvania Avenue, lower right corner; (bottom to top) Echandia Street, extreme bottom left corner; Boyle Avenue, lower right to middle left; Bailey Street, lower right, curving at middle left; State Street middle right to middle left; and San Benito, upper middle. The San Bernardino (10) Freeway is visible at top left corner. Photograph dated February 6, 1957.
1 negative :safety ;12 x 14 cm. Photographic safety negatives
White Memorial Hospital (Los Angeles, Calif.) White Memorial Church (Los Angeles, Calif.) White Memorial Medical Center (Los Angeles, Calif.) Express highways--California, Southern Hospital buildings--California--Los Angeles Church buildings--California--Los Angeles Hospitals--California--Los Angeles Streets--California--Los Angeles Interstate 10 Los Angeles (Calif.)--Aerial views Aerial photographs