Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > Cumnock School of Expression, "Shakespeare room"

Image / Cumnock School of Expression, "Shakespeare room"

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Cumnock School of Expression, "Shakespeare room"
Alternative Title
Security Pacific National Bank Photo Collection
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.
The Cumnock School of Expression in Los Angeles was a private school for women, established in the fall of 1894 by Mrs. Merrill Moore Grigg (Addie Murphy Grigg). Cumnock School included a junior department, an academy, and a school of expression and was distinctive as being the oldest school of expression in Southern California, as well as being one of the most successful in the west. Mrs. Grigg was a graduate of the Northwestern University School of Oratory, and for many years was first assistant of its Director, Dr. Robert McLean Cumnock - for whom her school was named. In April 1902, the Cumnock School took up its permanent residence in a new and beautiful building at 1500 S. Figueroa Street, which Mrs. Grigg had modeled after the famous Shakespeare House at Stratford-on-Avon. In 1904, Mrs. Kate Tupper Galpin established a second department of the institution, a preparatory school known as the Cumnock Academy. Cumnock School's beloved founder Mrs. Grigg died on January 1915, she was only 48 years old. A year later, Miss Helen Augusta Brooks became the headmistress. That same year, in 1916, the school moved to the west central part Los Angeles, fronting Vermont Avenue. The new location, with its high elevation, offered sweeping views of the mountains and city and the ample grounds gave plenty of space for outdoor classrooms and playgrounds. Cumnock School became coeducational in 1928.
Interior view of the "Shakespeare room" at the Cumnock School of Expression. Photograph shows a rather large room with exposed beams, oak wainscoting, a quaint brick fireplace and hearth, a wooden table in the center with chairs on either side of it, numerous chairs along the right wall, and several small decorative photographs throughout.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;13 x 20 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00081396
Security Pacific National Bank Collection
L.A.-Universities and colleges-Cumnock School of Expression
CARL0002880077
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/113241
Subject
Cumnock School of Oratory and Expression (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Universities and colleges--California--Los Angeles
College buildings--California--Los Angeles
School buildings--California--Los Angeles
Schools--California--Los Angeles
Oratory--California--Los Angeles
Grigg, Addie Murphy
Galpin, Kate Tupper,1855-1906

Explore related content on Calisphere: